So now I've got my first post out the way, I thought I would go straight into my first proper post! I've been at university for just under 3 weeks now, and it's been interesting to notice how you change in these weeks. Here are my examples:
Confidence. Throughout my life I have always been one of the quieter, less confident, and shy people. I had low self esteem, and I often found that school didn't improve this as I felt like I was always being judged by everyone - as silly as it sounds now. But that's what it's like when you have always had a low self esteem, you tell yourself that people are saying things about you behind your back, when most of the time this is probably not the case! However, since starting university I have noticed that this has changed considerably. My self esteem has improved considerably, to the point where I find it much easier to talk to new people without my head telling me all these negative things like it did before. I have been feeling more confident, and I'm starting to feel like the real 'me' is starting to emerge, as weird as that sounds! At uni everyone starts off not knowing anyone, and so as they say, everyone is in the same boat. This is then taken to the individual's advantage, as you can literally be anyone who you want to be. As for me, this was a more confident person. I'm excited to see how I continue to change for the better whilst I'm here, as it really is quite interesting!
Routine. It's funny to notice the small things that make your life that little bit more 'studenty'. At home, I would usually be up by 8.00 to get ready for work, to then get home at around 6 where I would laze around after working all day. This is not the case when you're a student. You slowly begin to go to bed at 1.00 on a night in, and 2.00-3.00 after a night out, to then wake up by at least 10 in the morning (unless you have lectures in the morning, which means you turn up as a zombie). This also means that you are always in a rush in the morning to avoid being late for a lecture, as that's just embarrassing.
Eating. I don't know if this is the case for everyone, but at home there would always be plenty of food I could snack (pig out) on. We have a chocolate drawer that I would visit at least 3 times a day. Dinner would always be cooked for you, so food never really was a big worry at home. Not now! As a student, you now have to constantly think about how often you should be snacking as you have to think about how much food you have to last you the week - this for me means I've had to avoid buying chocolate biscuits as I eat them too quickly. You have to cook your own dinner (unless you get a dominos) - which means, in my case anyway, you end up living off of pasta with tomato sauce.
Despite all of this, student living is turning out to be one of the best experiences of my life so far!
Kimberley
No comments:
Post a Comment