Monday, 22 October 2012

One of those days

I am currently having 'one of those days'. I am pretty sure everyone has experienced one of these, and so I thought I would share mine.
  This might not be the same for everyone, but for me when I'm having one of these days I tend to think about all the negatives of my life - and have often been brought on by someone or something that hasn't been very nice. In my case today, it's been someone who has said something not very nice to me, which has led to me feeling rather unhappy. This is how my day has gone on so far:
  Woke up at 8.30 feeling neutral, had breakfast then went to my first lecture of the day - Introduction to Meteorology. My mood improved considerably during this lecture as it is one of my favourite modules - plus we got given a tour of our uni's weather observatory which was really interesting. At 13.00 I walked back to my halls for lunch, my mood deteriorated as I began to think more about the negatives of my life, despite walking past the lake which usually cheers me up. Had toast for lunch, still generally feeling quite low as I thought more about what this person had said to me. At 13.45 I met up with my friend to walk to our next lecture - Hydrology. My mood improved as it was nice to talk to my friend about other things, and so to take my mind off the situation. Hydrology wasn't too bad, but it did get a bit boring towards the end - though I have also been feeling quite tired so that probably didn't help.
  So right now it's 16.42 and I'm sat here in my room thinking about things, and I'm feeling a lot better. I think that the best thing to do when you're having one of these days is to focus on the positives, as obvious as it sounds, but it's true. This morning, all I could think about was stuff like 'I can never do things right', 'I'm a waste of time' blah blah blah. However, once you disregard these feelings and focus on the positive things, it can improve your mood considerably. I can do lots of things right: I'm at my first choice university studying my chosen course, I did well at school, I have some amazing friends, I've had a job, and I'm coping well with moving away from home.
  A final thing, music can really help to lift your mood during one of these days. For me, I enjoy listening to music I find relaxing at first, then moving on to more upbeat songs once I'm feeling happier. This tends to change as I go through stages of listening to different types of music and artist. I, personally, am really into alternative music, so music that sounds a bit more interesting, has a wider variety of instruments, and different kinds of vocals. At the moment these have been my favourites:
Hanging On - Active Child
Icarus - White Hinterland
Swimming Story - Sea Oleena
Cosmic Love - Florence and the Machine
Howl - Florence and the Machine
All Is Full Of Love - Björk
Pagan Poetry - Björk
Venus As A Boy - Björk
My Blood - Ellie Goulding

So that's been my day, I am now going to cook more pasta and tomato sauce for the 4th evening in a row!

Kimberley


 

No comments:

Post a Comment